Mopar Trucks and Stuff
January 21, 2018, 11:18:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: I give up - registration is disabled again.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: My Flight Lessons  (Read 7305 times)
Madlurch

View Profile
« on: June 09, 2009, 07:59:58 PM »

All this empty space just begging to be used. I thought I'd Give little updates to my training. If people think this isn't an appropreat toppic for this site, just let me know and I'll stop. For now I'm just going to give some highlights. If anyone has any questions or sudjestions... please ask or tell me what you want.

So far I have 11.2 hours of dual time (thats me and my instructore) under my belt. I"ve been enjoing every moment even the day we did a spin. I even kept in my breakfast! We've been practicing Atitudes of the airplane, turns, climbs and decents, slow flight, stalls, spins, spiral dives... now I'm learning to fly the circuit and practicing Landings. Yesterday and to day we did 7 landings each day... thats 14 landings in 2 hours.
  I'm flying in a Cessna 172M built in 1976. Its an old plane, but after a couple of my landings today... I'm confident in its strength! LOL

Thats all for now. I'll post as more stuff hapens.

Matt

If you can't Dodge em...
Then RAM em!
Charlie1935

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 08:28:59 PM »

Did you bounce it good? Grin
Griff in Fairbanks
Resident Grouch and Part-time Comedian

Why worry?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 03:28:04 AM »

Damn!  You're already ahead of some of the airline pilots here in Alaska.  I don't want to count the number of tmes I've flown with someone who seems to think he needs to fly a big jet like he's a bush pilot in a Piper Cub.

Mopar otaku!!
Madlurch

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 06:17:25 PM »

Last week I put in 4 hours of flight time... and 33 landings. My instructor told me that I'll be doing landings till I get it right... then I think I'll be looking at my first solo.

Matt

If you can't Dodge em...
Then RAM em!
Charlie1935

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 07:12:20 PM »

Does it bounce good? Wink
Leeann

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 07:49:44 PM »

Why do you think he's doing landings until he has 'em right?  Grin

1973 Concord 20' Class A - 440/727
Madlurch

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 06:32:53 AM »

Charlie.... you should see it bounce!!! LOL  my instructor dosen't want me to do that thoe! Don't know why!  ;)LOL

Matt

If you can't Dodge em...
Then RAM em!
Charlie1935

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 07:30:49 AM »

Some people just ain't no fun at all.   Grin
Griff in Fairbanks

Why worry?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 11:27:01 PM »

Done any more flying lately?  Or ... is it safe to go back outside again.   Grin

Mopar otaku!!
Madlurch

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 06:41:50 AM »

Hi Griff...  You were never in any danger... I'm good!  Grin But really my instructor is right there if I screw up and besides... A Cessna 172 doesn’t have the range to make it to Fairbanks from Welland. Charlie should still keep an eye out! LOL

I've flown a few times since I last reported. Yesterday and Saturday for two of them. Did about 70 takeoff and landings in about 10 hours. Practicing all sorts of flap settings, approach angles to clear obstacles, cross winds, yesterday was short field work barely using 1000 feet of runway. But I think my favorite has to be the simulated engine familiar. We'll be on the downwind leg of the circuit and as I'm doing the downwind check my instructor pulls the throttle all the way back to full idle. First thing to do is to set your "best rate of glide" witch for the plane I'm training in 65 knots, no flaps. Flaps induce drag witch slow you down and shorten your range. Next start your turn to final skipping the base leg of the circuit and coming in at an angle to the runway. When you feel there is no way you won't reach the runway you add in full flaps and push the nose down to maintain the 65 knots. Once over the runway and lined up, simply perform a proper landing touching down with the main wheels first and just hold the nose up until the plane slows enough to loose all lift and settle down on its own. The short field stuff I did yesterday can be linked with this if the only place to land is a farmer’s field that isn't 3500 feet. When the engine is out... you make due.
  My instructor thinks I'm ready to solo but I need to do two tests before that. The "PSTAR" is a student license and the "Radio Operators License" are both needed for me to solo, being my instructor won't be with me so with his tickets.

That’s it so far. I hope to get the in plane training done by the end of summer.

Cheers
           Matt

If you can't Dodge em...
Then RAM em!
Madlurch

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 09:08:51 PM »

I go for my first solo on Monday the 20th. I'll keep you informed.

Matt

If you can't Dodge em...
Then RAM em!
Charlie1935

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 07:00:14 AM »

Goo deal and good luck!
Griff in Fairbanks

Why worry?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 02:16:33 AM »

I took the U.S. written test when I was 14 and passed it.  (Barely ... I got 70%, which is the cut-off for passing.)  Never did any time behind the stick ... decided it was something better left to others.

At that time, I could have taken flying lessons, solo'ed, and gotten my pilot's license at age 15.  Couldn't get a driver's license until age 16 so Mom would have had to drive me to the airport so I could go flying.  A buddy of mine did get his license at 15 and spent quite a bit of his sophmore year in high school flying around northern Minnesota.  (As I understand it, the U.S. age limit has been raised since then.)

Mopar otaku!!
Madlurch

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 07:05:53 AM »

When I was inquiring about the lessons I learned that it dose not matter how old you are to start your lessons. As long as you  pass your medical and you can compleat the lessons and pass... your in. Iwas told about a class that had an age range of people from 16 to 65. One morning I showed up for a lesson and an older gentleman was just leaving. He had just got down in the plane I was going up in. He mentioned that it was his 82 birtday that day.

I think here you only need to be 16 to hold a privot licence and 18 for comercial. Might only be 14 for a solo... I'll have to check on that one.

I'll let you guys know how it went tomorrow.

Matt

If you can't Dodge em...
Then RAM em!
Madlurch

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 09:34:13 PM »

Well... I soloed today... Everything went well. My instructor went up with me for 3 circuits and then I went for 2 on my own. No problem. My wife and son watched and took pictures. I'll post them latter, she still uses film!

Any who...  It was a good day.

Matt Grin

If you can't Dodge em...
Then RAM em!
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: