Mopar Trucks and Stuff
January 23, 2018, 07:05:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: I give up - registration is disabled again.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: '79 Avco 3200  (Read 9707 times)
rev_les

View Profile
« on: September 01, 2009, 07:57:48 PM »

Hey all, I've gone and done it, lol.. found a '79 Avco 3200,and successfully nursed it home without killing myself, others, or calling a towtruck, lol..
I'm going to have a lotta questions, I've never owned one of these before. Not bad for 500 bux though,eh?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 08:03:10 PM by MTAS Boss #2 » Logged
AlnCory

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 09:08:26 AM »

WTG Rev,  when you can, give us more info on the specs, and more pictures, always more pictures...  have fun with your new project.
A.
rev_les

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 04:33:28 PM »

It's got the 440/727-TF setup,I'm out of town , when I get back I'll take more pics,and start doing some picking.. I know it doesn't shift right, as in it tries to launch in 2nd or high gear, I need to figure out what carb it has and get a rebuild kit for that, get the compressor running for the tag axle and horns, ...and the list goes on, lol.The brakes seem on the weak side too, but it's the first time I've ever driven an 18K Lb vehicle...so I'm not sure how strong they're supposed to be; the brake light IS on, so I have to look at that as well.i DO know that 440 sounds sweet when she fires up Cheesy
Leeann

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 06:20:25 PM »

Sweet, Les! A tag axle, 2 AC units, a 440 and 727...not bad at all  Grin

Lessee....should be a thermoquad, it's probably the shift linkage incorrectly adjusted (and check the fluid too), check all your vacuum lines as that's what killed my brakes (we went from 2" to 18" Hg just replacing 3 little lines).

Hey, getting it home under its own power is a really good thing.

Does it have a genset? If so, what?

Ask away; we'll try  Tongue

1973 Concord 20' Class A - 440/727
rev_les

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 07:57:29 PM »

Hey Leeann!.. to answer the question, yeah, it has a 6500W Onan, I need to look at it too, it's supposed to run, but all I get is a solenoid click when I hit the start button. One a/c works sometimes, then locks up, i think it's the motor that runs the blower and condenser fans, sounds like the compressor is still running, the other one comes on but blows warm, and keeps trying to cycle on and off,it seems like it's pulling a lot of current, i think it's toast. Gonna have to go back up and remove the covers again and get someone inside to operate them. ( I opened them up and oiled the blower motors ) While I'm typing anyway.... the freshwater tank's been removed in an attempt to fix it, I have the tank more for it's dimensions for a replacement, but I think I can actually repair it,however it smells like old plastic,are these things safe to drink from when they get like that, or is there a treatment for it?? ( If I reuse it it'll be for shower,head and sink water only I'm thinking... I'll buy bottled water before i drink out of it, lol) ...can someone change the " & " in the Subject to a 7 ?? lol
Leeann

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 08:02:24 PM »

Are you hitting a remote start button or the button on the Onan? Is there a good battery installed for the Onan? It needs a separate battery, usually installed right next to it. And it does need to be fully charged (dang things are picky about that).

Usually, you only can use 2 AC units if you're plugged into 50 amp service. One runs on the genny, one runs on the 30 amp service otherwise.

Lessee...a sanitizing solution (10% bleach) is the only way to effectively clean water tanks. Put it in, slosh it a bit, let it sit for a couple hours, then drain and refill. Let that sit for a few hours, then drain and refill again. Then check the water and see if you need to drain and refill again.

And yes, I'll change that in a minute Wink

rev_les

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 08:39:14 PM »

I've tried both starter buttons, I'll have to look and see if there's a 3rd battery..none of the documentation mentions that. ( I have the paperwork for all of the accessories, and the original Dodge Chassis owners manual, the coach blueprints, Avco owners manual, etc! )  If all it needs is a battery, then I'm in luck like Chuck, lol... we have a rack of marine starting batteries at work they told me to get rid of, some of them are new and charged right up,they've just been sitting collecting dust.I'm pretty sure the generator's going to need a carb clean too to get running smooth after sitting so long.
Leeann

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 08:48:11 PM »

If it's like our Onan 4.0 CCK, you definitely should do an oil change and check the air filter. And check the points and condenser, too.

Ours had a screwup from the factory - the ground wire to the control box was missing altogether. It's on the wiring diagram but not in the box, so the bf had to wire one up. Once he did that, it starts every time with the slightest touch on either the genset button or the remote button.

rev_les

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 09:05:59 PM »

yeah, it's got points, good thing I never tossed the old dwell meter, lmao
rev_les

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 04:23:47 PM »

Well, one a/c's dead,the other's now working with the blower motor I swapped from the dead one. Here's some more pics.... ignore the still opened donor a/c , lol

....and some interior..

All I've done so far is vacuum her out so far..pretty good shape for being 30.
rev_les

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 05:40:18 PM »

this keeps getting better Cheesy.... the central vacuum works, the built in blender works, and the microwave works... I was told all this was non functioning, so finding out there's less work to do is awesome!
Charlie1935

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 07:59:46 PM »

From what I can tell by the photos some paint on the wheels is all the out side needs. 
Leeann

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 05:07:23 PM »

Looks great, and the fact that everything works is a total bonus  Cool

Trish

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 05:45:52 AM »

Wow, it's great.  You did good. 
rev_les

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2009, 05:44:45 PM »

ok, question here....my waste water  drainpipe itself is 3" pipe. The cap that's on it,measures 3 3/4" between the locking tabs. I bought a hose setup, and a 3" drain hookup, and it's too small in diameter, so I measured it, and it's 3 1/2" inside the tabs....I can't seem to find another size, as if it's the standard. Does anyone make these in the larger, where would I find it if they do, or do I need to get out the saw and PVC cement and buy another waste water outlet pipe??? I'd really rather not have to start sawing on that pipe, seems like a crappy task to undertake, hehe. Thanks in advance Smiley
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: