Mopar Trucks and Stuff
February 20, 2018, 05:58:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: I give up - registration is disabled again.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Having some problems.  (Read 2773 times)
Madlurch

View Profile
« on: September 04, 2009, 12:10:02 PM »

Hello...

My 98 Ram 1500 is giving me a pain. it has a 5.2L (or 318 cid) engine, and I've been having problems for a bit now, one of them was the transmission. The truck has over 305,000 km.'s on it and I'm not surprised to have to rebuild the trany. So I picked up the truck today, the trany is shifting fine now and I can tell its ok. The engine is running rough(er) now and when I slow down at an intersection or to change directions (reverse) it stalls. Not every time... but its doing it. Also... If I hit the throttle to rev the engine I get a black sooty smoke... Only when I hit it, not at idle.
  I read something online about a problem with the intake gaskets coming loose and causing the same simptomes... the guys at the tranny shop mentioned a coolant leak at the manifold and I have been smelling coolant. Has anyone heard of this before? Is there something else I should be looking into that I haven't mentioned? I need help.

Matt  Undecided Huh Sad

If you can't Dodge em...
Then RAM em!
Charlie1935

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 02:13:03 PM »

There is a plate that bolts to the bottom of the intake and that gasket is a common trouble spot.
If the plenum is leaking oil will get in the intake and possibly screw up the oxygen sensor and catalytic converter.
Try Dodge Forum.com and search Plenum gasket.
There is a bypass hose at the front of the intake to water pump that is a common leak.
biggdog440

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 09:38:24 PM »

the CPS could be off or bad. what did he do to the trans?
Madlurch

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 03:43:15 PM »

The trany was rebuilt completely.  I just found out today that the engine is  quite rough. I have a cracked head maybe both, the PCM is shot, lots of corrosion on wires for the engine and the rad leaks. Could be $3500 - $4000 to fix it. So I'm going to look in to that as well as maybe getting a different truck.  Any suggestions?

Matt

If you can't Dodge em...
Then RAM em!
Leeann

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 07:23:45 PM »

Ye gods...what a mess.

I'd look at your nearest junkyard/pick-n-pull to find an engine. Around here, they run $200 for a complete engine without accessories.

1973 Concord 20' Class A - 440/727
Madlurch

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 02:56:44 PM »

Well... I'm getting a used engine put in... for now its the thing to do. Maybe something new in a year.  I'll let you know how its running after I get it back.

Matt

If you can't Dodge em...
Then RAM em!
Leeann

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 07:13:04 PM »

Glad you're getting it up & running...let us know how it goes.

Madlurch

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 06:16:56 AM »

I got my truck back yesterday. One used engine and a a few other parts and allot of labor letter and its fixed. I'm really not liking computers on engines... Makes thing difficult to do your own work these days. Oh well... Hope this last me long enough to get something better in the future. On the plus side... I do have it back and it is running well. Laura and I went for a drive last night with no problems. If I ever have to change that engine again... It'll be a 426 HEMI and I start taking it to the drag strip!!! LOL Grin

Talk to ya soon.
  Matt

If you can't Dodge em...
Then RAM em!
Charlie1935

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 06:22:06 AM »

Good deal!
Leeann

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 08:01:56 AM »

Glad you have it back and even better that it's running well!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: