Mopar Trucks and Stuff
December 10, 2017, 09:13:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: I give up - registration is disabled again.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Summer 2010 work  (Read 6719 times)
Griff in Fairbanks
Resident Grouch and Part-time Comedian

Why worry?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2011, 01:37:18 PM »

Renaming this to "Summer 2011 work"

Roughly four weeks to go before I can start mixing mortar without worrying about it freezing.  Temperatures have been stubbornly remaining below average, with highs often below freezing, and there's still a lot of snow on the ground.  Any snow that has melted is largely due to direct sunshine rather than ambient temperatures.

Have lined up a tubing bender that I can use to bend rebar when I get to the bond beam courses (11th and 15th courses), which will cut out the cost of having to rent a rebar bender.  Also trying to line up concrete vibrator to borrow so I don't have to manually rod the grout.  Seriously thinking about buying a concrete mixer because I use one enough to justify the buying one.

(The tubing bender, which is being given to me, can be used eventually for the frame for the chopper I planning to build someday.)

Haven't bought any more building materials because I don't know when Congress will stop paying my military retirement and disability compensation.  I have money saved up for buying building materials but won't release it in case I need to buy food when Congress stops paying my income.  (Note:  I said "when" not "if".  Congress got too close for my comfort on April 8th so I've gone into a "bunker" mode when it comes to finances.)

I do have some building materials on hand and there are some building tasks that don't require money that I can do so the house project doesn't need to stop completely ... just slow down considerably while Congress fiddles around and pisses at each other.

Also, have received a serious job offer.  (Actually, they're actively trying to talk me into taking the job.)  If I take it, it would mean 50 hours per week that I couldn't spend on building or other projects.  (Yes, I'm itching to get back to my motorhome project.)  On the other hand, it would mean surplus money that I could spend on things like having the rest of the engine rebuild done.

To summarize, I'm bored silly and just waiting for the &*%#@ snow to go away so I can get out and start doing things!!

Mopar otaku!!
Leeann

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2011, 06:13:54 PM »

To summarize, I'm bored silly and just waiting for the &*%#@ snow to go away so I can get out and start doing things!!

I can't blame you one bit Wink

1973 Concord 20' Class A - 440/727
Griff in Fairbanks

Why worry?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2011, 09:14:50 PM »

Still lots of snow on the ground and temperatures have been remaining stubbornly below average, with forecasts indicating breakup will be roughly a week behind normal.  Fortunately, it looks like it's finally warming up, with forecasted highs in the upper 40s and lower 50s and nighttime lows in somewhere between 25 and 30 degrees F.

Congress finally got off their asses and passed the FY2011 budget ... six months into the year ... so I know I'll be getting paychecks through September 30th.  Things got way to close for comfort and it's kinda hard to come out of "bunker mode" so the only thing I've spent money on is a cement mixer.

Mopar otaku!!
Griff in Fairbanks

Why worry?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2011, 07:07:08 PM »

Well, I guess it's (way, way) past time for an update ...

Finally warmed up enough to start mixing mortar ... about a week after our projected start date of May 15th.  (Used the time between May 15th and our actual start date to find tools and get things ready to go.

All the block for the entryway is finished and the top bond beam is poured with the anchor bolts set.  A little bit of clean-up and we'll be ready to put the entry sill plates, floor joists, and subfloor on.

Had some trouble adjusting to the fact the entry way masonry work is complete.  (Wow, that part's done ... don't need to do anymore of that there ... we're ready to put in the that part of the basement floor and the entryway floor in ... wait, I've been putting off finalizing details for that part ... ooops!)

Yup, the project flat ran over my ass so I've been scrambling to catch up.  Biggest part is the radon mitigation system, which needs to go in before the basement floor.  (It'd cost several thousand more -- and a helluva lot of work -- to do it later rather than now.)  So, I've been pounding the 'net and running all over town talking with experts to work out the details of the system.  (For one thing, the Alaska expert on radon, Richard Seifert, says some of the EPA's recommendations don't work in interior Alaska ... apparently the EPA failed to take into account 50 below zero temperatures ... or just chose to ignore one of the fifty states.)

Other work has been proceeding but slowly because we want to move the construction ramp and stairs into the basement from the current location (though one of the windows in the east wall) to the entryway.  It's already been -- and will continue to be -- a hassle keeping the block clean and keeping people (especially grandchildren) from bumping into freshly set block where the ramp and stairs are currently.

In other news -- brace yourself -- I got my hair cut.  Now it conforms to the old AFR 35-10 military standards.  I did it for safety reasons ... I'm hoping to do some work on the wood lathe later this summer or next fall and the danger of long hair around a lathe was more risk (and hassle) that I was willing to accept.  (Hints as to what I'll be doing on the lathe are located above and Leean -- along with a very few other people -- have seen the actual plans.)

Also, I got a job ... delivery driver for the local CarQuest.  (The other -- by a distant second -- reason to cut my hair.)  The job is a good fit for my disabilities, gets me away from my five-year-old PITA granddaughter, and gives me a chance to meet and help people.  Also, the extra money will allow me to move up the schedule on some projects, especially MLP.  (Plus, the store supports quite a few medium and heavy duty truck shops in town so it's a good place to look for parts ... at an employee's discount.)

Yup, I've also started working on my motorhome project again.  One of the possibilities for the extra money is getting the rest of the engine work done.

BTW - the new brake calipers for the chassis that I had located in town were still on the shelf in the NAPA store when it caught fire and burned down a couple of weeks ago ... %^&**^%!!!

Finally, I bought another pickup ... a I-don't-know-what-year Dodge Dakota with a V6 and five speed.  May put the drivetrain from it in the late-60s Sweptline body I've got sitting in the yard.  (The Dakota's PO is an idiot so it may not have anything significantly wrong with it but the Sweptline's body is in better condition.)

Another possibility for the extra money is a 35th anniversary vacation for Grandma Griff and I.  One possibility is a week or two in Korea or Japan.  Another possibility is going to the Daytona Speed Week next year, especially considering the 2012 Daytona 500 falls right on our anniversary.

Gotta run ... need to email a pick-list to my favorite lumberyard so I can pick up more materials tomorrow or Tuesday.

Mopar otaku!!
Leeann

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2011, 07:27:45 PM »

I was starting to wonder Wink

That's great about the entryway masonry work. That's a big step.

No, you have to put in the radon system now. You really have no choice. We had to add some things to my parents' house in CT when they first started worrying about radon - the effects were discovered in the volunteers at Old Newgate Prison in East Granby (next town up from my parents). It was a real PITA.

Your hair cut  Shocked really  Huh  Okay, okay....working around a lathe is a really good reason to keep your hair trimmed.

A job? Wow....oh, I get it - extra money and employee discount for parts....got it  Tongue

Nooooooooooo - oh, man, that really sucks Sad

Oh, a 3.9/5 spd in the Sweptline would be pretty dang cool.

Griff in Fairbanks

Why worry?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2011, 11:03:23 PM »

Between work and the weather, we didn't get as much done as we hoped.  (When I was working, it was nice outside and when I was off, it was raining.)

Got through the 11th course of block, which is the third bond beam and, like last summer, a good place to stop for the winter.  Four more courses to do early next summer and we start the framing.

Did get the entryway part of the basement floor done.

Will try to get some pictures before the snow flies ...

Oh, yeah ... wound up using the drawbar and ball on the trailer hitch to bend the rebar ... worked just about as well and as accurately as anything else we tried.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 11:06:45 PM by Griff in Fairbanks » Logged

Mopar otaku!!
Leeann

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2013, 07:59:52 PM »

Any new developments?

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: