Mopar Trucks and Stuff
January 21, 2018, 03:16:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: I give up - registration is disabled again.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Country Dream Dodge 150 Custom  (Read 4664 times)
prettykitty

View Profile
« on: June 20, 2011, 01:01:32 PM »

Ok, got a friend that has a 85 Dodge 150 Custom he calls Country Dream, having some issues and trying to pick some brains. ----Here he is--- She (Country) has a 5.2 liter 318 V8 four speed manual transmission. Any advice is welcome, she's got alot wrong with her and it's a safe bet if you can think of something, it needs to be worked on.
-----Basic deal is that she stopped working, they replaced the starter and while trying to start her I noticed that she didn't sound right, took a look and the belts weren't turning right. So, we stopped pulled off the belts (after disconnecting the battery) and I tried to manually turn the pulleys. All but the drive train pulley turned just fine. Any ideas? He'd have posted this himself if the registration wasn't disabled, but his name is Steven, he is assigned to the Chapparal, NM reserves unit.---------
Leeann

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 06:11:40 PM »

Erin - get his info to either me or your dad and we'll register him. I got too many spammers the second I enabled registration.

1973 Concord 20' Class A - 440/727
prettykitty

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 01:02:55 PM »

Work already completed on truck:
4 new shocks, tires, and brakes
New starter, upper and lower radiator hoses, water pump

*Note: Items NOT listed in order of precedence*

Knowledge on what needs to be done:
Fixed radiator leak, however, need to replace radiator (any place I can find one cheap?)
Ignition switch inoperable, been using alternative press-button ignition
Horn on steering wheel inoperable (again, using alternative press-button for horn)
Clutch pedal needs adjustment (transmission not engaging until clutch almost completely released)
Need to re-seal doors, wing windows
Replace windshield
Replace door speakers
Replace tape player

And just about anything else that can be thought of.
Charlie1935

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 04:40:45 PM »

Good to see you here!
Sounds like you have enough to keep you busy for a while.
CelticWulfHeart
RedneckWolf

The Sword Is Ever Suspended-----Voltair

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 07:40:37 PM »

Ok, got my account up, thanks Leeann.
Charlie1935: Yup, been like that since I bought her. Except what me and my dad or grandparents have already worked on. Including Erin (prettykitty) helping me with the belts and pulleys. She says she'd rather be working on the Savoy though lol, but I'm more than happy shes helping. Maybe I can return the favor someday.

On top of whats been noted:
Passenger door wont lock, but same problem has been fixed on the driver side before
Needs a paint job (goin for maybe a commemerative mural)

Plans:
Heavy gauge brush/cattle guard
Single smoke stack exhaust
Lift/4x4 kit
Rear window rifle rack
Leeann

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 07:50:11 PM »

No problem Wink

Erin, when you tried to turn the crankshaft pulley, was it with a socket and breaker bar or by hand? And how hard was it to turn?

Did you try pulling the spark plugs and turning it with them out?

Griff in Fairbanks
Resident Grouch and Part-time Comedian

Why worry?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 01:45:01 AM »

It's easy but unproductive and uneconomical to try to repair something without first figuring out what's wrong.

I'd start by checking the starter, starter bendix, and flywheel ring gear ... especially the teeth all around the ring gear.  (Also, reman starters have been known to have faulty bendix drives straight out of the box ... especially less expensive ones.)  The starter is the most recently replaced part so it makes sense to start looking there,

If the starter will turn over the engine, then the engine isn't seized so I wouldn't worry about turning the crankshaft.  Kickstarting 74 cubic inch Harley engines is difficult even with the advantage of favorable gear/sprocket ratios.  The engine you're working on is four times that size and you have no mechanical advantage when trying to turn the pulley ... especially without relieving the compression by removing the spark plugs.

I think I know what the problem is and I'll bet it's related to the pushbutton start switch.  Explaining it will take a bit and it's getting late so you'll have to wait a few days.

I'll take a guess at the "she didn't sound right" ... it probably sounded like the starter was having trouble turning over the engine and the alternator was probably making some "unusual" noise.

A couple of hints:

The belts not turning when the engine is turning over is significant and points toward the likely problem ... but it's actually located elsewhere, if I'm correct.

Erin - remember that little 12 volt generator we rigged up for the motorhome when we first got to Fairbanks?  Remember how the alternator would stall out that little motor?  That same motor is capable of pushing a 200 pound man along at a fair clip when it's mounted in a minibike.  Now, imagine how much of a load the alternator is adding if it's energized when the starter is trying to crank over the engine.

Enough for tonight ... check the starter, bendix, and ring gear while you're waiting for my explanation.

BTW - I'll bet the pushbutton starter switch is a little 10 or 15 amp switch ... if so, while it isn't the root of the problem, it sure isn't helping.

Until later ...

Mopar otaku!!
Griff in Fairbanks

Why worry?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 01:48:21 AM »

BTW - welcome CelticWulfHeart.

Mopar otaku!!
CelticWulfHeart
RedneckWolf

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 03:32:28 AM »

Hello Mr. Griffin, nice to somewhat meet you. That's the best advice I've heard thus far, and confirms some of my suspitions of the push-button ignition, and I'll be sure to try it in the morning. The starter was also my first thought, because the "unusual noise" seemed to be coming from there, though it sounded like an electric scooter starting up. Could that be a sign that the gears may not be connecting? I would like to ask, though, would it behoove me to go ahead and completely replace the actual ignition switch on the steering column? I do apologise, I'm a bit new at all this, and I greatly appreciate all of your help.

Leeann- I have to find them first lol. I dont know how it's possible, but the original owner had so many added and unneeded parts to the engine that it's difficult to find where certain components should be/originally were.

Also, there is an aftermarket cruise control that seems to have a mind of its own. I personally wouldnt use it, even though it tends to kick on seemingly of its own accord. Any opinions on fix and/or remove?
Leeann

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 05:51:25 AM »

On something like that, I'd start by removing all the extra, unnecessary stuff the PO did. I'd bet that the more it goes back to factory, the better it'll be....

Charlie1935

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 11:55:44 AM »

Welcome Celtic!
Griff in Fairbanks

Why worry?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 12:14:33 PM »

Yes, remove the cruise control.  I've seen four engine fires (several years ago, all within a few weeks' time) caused by cheap/faulty/incorrectly installed remote starters, which are similar to aftermarket cruise controls.  Your cruise control is probably a cheap universal version that may or may not have been installed correctly.  (If you want a cruise control -- which you indicated you didn't want/need -- get the best you can find that's made specifically for your vehicle and be sure to install it correctly.)

Yes, a free-wheeling starter does sound like an electric scooter motor.  Likely caused by a faulty solenoid, bendix drive, or ring gear or an improper or incorrectly installed starter.

The solenoid is the small can-shaped object on top of the starter.  It's an electromagnet connected to a lever that pushes the bendix drive out to engage the ring gear.  If it's not working, the (drive) gear on the bendix drive doesn't engage the (driven) ring gear on the flywheel (or, in the case of automatic transmissions, torque converter) and the starter free-wheels.

The bendix drive is a one-way clutch attached to the drive gear.  It's designed to transfer the starter's torque to the flywheel and disengage once the engine has started and is turning faster than the starter.  Once again, a defective bendix drive (especially the clutch part) would allow the starter to free-wheel.

The ring gear is the large diameter gear attached to the rim of the flywheel (or torque converter).  On rare occasions, a few of the teeth may broken off.  Most often, a defective, improper, or incorrectly installed starter will grind part or all of a few teeth off the ring gear, leaving a blank spot that allows the starter to free-wheel.

I've run into all of these situations at various times ... and have used every swear word I know, in various languages, in response.

BTW - If you have to replace the ring gear, you might as well have the flywheel surfaced and install a new clutch, pressure plate, and throwout bearing.

Definitely -- repeat, definitely -- fix the ignition switch problem.  If the switch itself is not faulty, look for loose or corroded connections, broken or faulty wires, a bad starter relay, or inadequate ground connections.

I still have to explain why the pushbutton starter switch may be adding to your problems ...

Finally, the process of undoing all the "weird and wonderful" things the PO(s) -- i.e., Previous Owner(s) -- did is the first step in reviving an older truck and is officially known as "unf**king a vehicle".

(If your computer's sarcasm detector isn't beeping it's little heart out then your computer's screen is melting due to all the dripping sarcasm in the previous statement.)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 12:16:33 PM by Griff in Fairbanks » Logged

Mopar otaku!!
CelticWulfHeart
RedneckWolf

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 01:47:14 PM »

Thanks everyone for the welcome, and Leeann, Charlie1935, and Mr, Griffin for all the advice. my grandparents are outside with me now working on country. we put the engine back together (what we had apart) and I tightened the starter as much as I humanly could push myself to......now shes trying to turn over, but it seems shes not pulling an adequet amount of fuel.
CelticWulfHeart
RedneckWolf

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 02:30:57 PM »

new development: the butterfly door on my carburator is stuck open and will not close, and as I'm posting this, just found out my fuel pump is out as well. I love my ol' beat-up, POS, knuckle buster, widow maker, forgein totaler, junkyard scrap, steel bodied Country Dream!

--seriously, I love my truck haha
Grandma Griff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 10:57:19 PM »

If Pretty Kitty (Erin) is helping you make sure you get out of the way if she reaches for a hammer Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: