Mopar Trucks and Stuff
February 20, 2018, 06:04:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: I give up - registration is disabled again.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register Chat  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: 2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade  (Read 11095 times)
Leeann

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2013, 02:14:07 PM »

Got started on putting the 'new' transmission in place. First, we had to pull the transmission cooler and clean it out. Couldn't run the cleaner through the lines to clean it as the cleaner wouldn't get up to the top pipes that way.

Cooler out

Crap from the cooler

Then we flushed each line and poured off the yucky fluid

I didn't take a picture, but we poured the fluid through a coffee filter and it was full of aluminum.

Then we put the cooler back in place and reconnected the lines. Next up, figuring out how to get the tranny back under the Jeep, then up onto the tranny jack. I don't have the Jeep flying high enough to slide it under on the jack.

In my Astro

Torque converter secured for transport

One step up on blocks towards getting it high enough to slide the tranny jack underneath. Didn't take pics at further steps because my hands were a bit busy.

On and secured to the tranny jack

This is where it started pouring, so we were done for the day. Had to take two longish breaks during all this to take the kid to girl scouts, then pick her back up.

Tomorrow after work, we'll get it lined up and bolted back to the engine. Then I'll peck away at getting everything hooked back up after work for the rest of the week. Just got new input and output speed sensors in Friday's mail; looks like a good thing I did.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 04:29:28 PM by Leeann » Logged

1973 Concord 20' Class A - 440/727
Leeann

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2013, 06:49:58 PM »

Couldn't do anything yesterday as we got hit with a storm with torrential downpours right about 4:30. Started today instead.

Got the bellhousing bolted up to the motor, the dipstick tube bolted in place, vent hose stuck on its tube, starter connected and bolted up.

Starter and heat shield:

Back a little, bellhousing bolted up:

Yup, I'll be swapping pans:

Tomorrow, bolt the torque converter to the flywheel, bolt the inspection cover/reinforcing collar in place, connect the cooler lines, drop the pan and install new filter then install pan from old tranny, connect the electrical connections and the shift cable.

That probably will take me to dark, so transfer case, tranny crossmember, y-pipe and driveshafts will wait for Thurs evening.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 04:34:20 PM by Leeann » Logged

Charlie1935

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2013, 09:18:53 PM »

You're making a good showing!
Leeann

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2013, 05:37:02 PM »

Just pecking away, little by little.

Bolted up the torque converter

Then the inspection cover/reinforcing collar

Next, the cooler lines

Then electrical connections and the shift cable

Had to work a little late and I was tired and in need of beer, so I stopped there. The pan/filter will wait for tomorrow Wink
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 04:40:04 PM by Leeann » Logged

Leeann

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2013, 08:02:57 PM »

Got the Jeep reassembled and moving under its own power - mostly. Have to take apart the right rear wheel as either the discs or the shoes are seized. Unsurprising because it has been sitting for over a year and a half.

Pan (before I put magnet back) with drain plug installed

Mopar filter and o-ring installed

Pan installed & rtv curing

Transfer case bolted up

New transfer case position sensor in and hooked up - old was gritty and crunchy and lied to the gauge cluster

Transfer case cable hooked up

Rear driveshaft installed - and you can just see the muffler to y-pipe flange is bolted up

Diff end, front driveshaft

Transfer case end

New front oxygen sensors, oldish rear oxygen sensors hooked up. Filled the transfer case before I put it up with the tranny jack - much easier. Put 3 qts in the tranny, then filled as needed to full - took 9 qts. Will re-check again. Haven't put it back on the ground because of the rear brake issue; will as soon as that's clear. I don't want to drive it around the yard except to get it to the driveway because of the quick learn thing. Don't want to burn this one up...
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 08:12:07 PM by Leeann » Logged

Charlie1935

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2013, 09:12:21 PM »

Busy, busy!  Doing good.
Leeann

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2013, 06:11:41 PM »

Put the 'new' cargo cover in place - now guns & ammo will be under cover Wink

« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 07:46:05 PM by Leeann » Logged

Leeann

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2013, 04:17:55 PM »

Drove the Jeep around in the yard for the first time   Grin

Have to re-bolt the y-pipe to muffler flange and hope that seals it up as there's a bit of a leak there. Have to bleed the brakes as the pedal's a bit unresponsive and have to replace the rear rotors and pads (might have to do the front too). I warmed it up and ran it through the gears so I could check the fluid level first and it was perfect. Went right into gear, no slush, engine flare or clunk.

Then it's ready (I hope) to switch the title over, get inspection tags and get it MD inspected and full 2-year stickers. Phew Wink

Charlie1935

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2013, 08:36:02 PM »

Just about done!  You been busy.
Leeann

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2013, 08:10:42 PM »

Got the pine sap off, then my boss paid the wash dude next door to hand wash, wax and buff, vacuum and clean the Jeep.

I went from this

To this

Thanks to simple rubbing alcohol. It dissolves the stuff and didn't damage the clearcoat (thanks BMW forum). Pine sap came from the untreated pine board roof of their garage.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 08:29:36 PM by Leeann » Logged

Leeann

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2013, 08:13:50 PM »

Did the title work and got inspection tags. Inspection is next, but tires were first (never heard of Neptune?). The Jeep slipped in rain, so I bought a set of Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S to put on instead.

I've put almost 200 miles on them, all this past weekend, and I love them. Lots. Got 18.5 mpg even with them in mixed driving. And drove in pouring rain without a single slip.

Leeann

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2013, 08:18:50 PM »

I have to do front brakes before inspection, since they're at 2/32 with a bad rust lip on the rotor. Rears are at 6/32 with the same rust lip, so I'm doing both. Parking brake shoes are supposedly fine. I'll find out when I remove the rear rotors.

Power Stop Evolution ceramic pads (ceramic is OEM spec) with rotors that won't warp with the ceramic pads are in hand....well, the rears are here. The front rotors will be in tomorrow, then I can dig in.

Then on to inspection.

Leeann

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2013, 05:16:00 PM »

Replaced the front brakes on my Liberty...

Passenger side

Driver's side

Old crap

Did that after we replaced the AC compressor, evacuated, pulled a deep vacuum, charged...all the good stuff on the bf's cousin's '06 Liberty. The dark green (no idea what the color's called), grey leather interior, EVIC, 4 hi part time - pretty loaded. Only has 19,000 miles on it. He bought it with 16,000 about 6 months ago. Who could put only 16,000 miles on a Liberty in 7 years? I don't get it.

Charlie1935

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2013, 06:37:47 PM »

Was it a 3rd or 4th car?
Should be just about broke in.
Leeann

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2013, 06:53:29 PM »

Had to be. He bought it from a dealer as a trade-in. The engine compartment looks like it just came from the factory (no corrosion, no rust, no discoloration of anything). Underneath, though, has a good bit of rust. Not as bad as mine, but still. We think it was kept parked on grass.

However, a car that sat that much has its own issues. Like an AC compressor clutch that failed with 19,000 miles on it.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: